Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Update and some things I have learned since getting cancer

Easter
I have had an interesting year so far.  About Christmas time I started feeling really lousy and was afraid that the cancer had come baek. The Doctor ordered an MRI , which was clear!  It shocked both Roma, I and the Doctor, he was sure the tumor was growing again. So he has changed up some of the medication I was on and added others to try and increase my energy.  I have felt a little stronger each week and I hope to have a great spring and summer.
I have been thinking a lot about my experiences with cancer.  I've said before I am glad that I have had this experience because its taught me a lot.  When I was first diagnosed with cancer Roma and I immediately dropped to our knees and prayed.  We immediately received peace and comfort and an assurance that everything would be alright.  The Lord didn't tell me I would be healed, but gave me the thought that we would be okay. We have!  That's the 1st lesson I learned. The Lord has a plan for us and we don't know what it is, but if we have faith in the Lord everything will turn out alright.
Another thing I have learned is there really are guardian angels about, from both sides of the veil.  We have received such an outpouring of love from our family, friends, neighbors, and our Church. We have learned that when someone is in the service of their fellow men they are truly in the service of their God. We have also felt the influences of people (family members) beyond the veil and have been given a lot of comfort from that. We have been truly blessed by Angels and the Comforter.
We have grown closer to our children and grandchildren through this trial. We have grown to rely on their advise and help more than ever. It's as if our situation changed. They council us rather than being counciled. We have been able to see much more of the grandkids,  due to the generosity of our family.  We count our children and their spouses as being great friends, and wise councilors. We love them all.
I have  especially grown closer to my sweet Roma.  As my capacity to care for myself has deminished her strength has carried me.  She has taken on much more of a role in handling fiances and yard work as well as doing her regular work.  She is my life.
Prayer truly is a powerful thing.  We feel the prayers that are offered in our behalf.  The prayers of the righteous surly are powerful.  And we appreciate all the prayers that have been offered and encourage you to continue to pray for us even now.
It will have been 3 years in June since I was diagnosed with cancer.  I can say with a sure voice that the Lord has blessed me and our family in so many ways.  We can hardly remember what our lives were like before June 3rd 2010, but I wouldn't trade my life for anyone elses.  I feel so blessed.

3 comments:

  1. Love you both lots! Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad you are awesome! Such a great example to me. I love you and Mom so much! Thanks for this post, it lifted me up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dad, I though I left a comment. Maybe I left it on Facebook. This was a great post, it made me cry!! I love you both and am so grateful I get to be my kid.

    ReplyDelete