Sunday, October 23, 2011

A blast from the past

This week was special.  Tuesday I received a email from my roommate at the Air Force Academy.  He had been talking to my class mates and was wondering if I was involved with the class ring selection. His name is Tom Callen I am ashamed to say I lost contact with all my friends twenty years ago, or more.  The fact that he contacted me was a great blessing in my life.  I replied with the info that he as seeking and told him about my brain cancer and asked how he and his wife were doing.  He immediately sent a reply and told me that he wanted to call me the next day and that he would forward my email and blog address to the rest of my old Air Force friends.  He called me Wednesday and he shared info on our families and lives and old times.  I had a very select group of friends that I will always cherish my relationship with.  We came  from diverse backgrounds but hit it off very well and experienced life altering changes together for the 2 years that we were together in the same squadron at the USAFA.  
The next day one of my other friends Sonny Childress called and we had a similar conversation and promised to keep in contact.  I had had a bad couple of weeks with seizures and other things and I was troubled by things happening in our own neighborhood with a baby dying and one of my best friends illness.  Those 2 phone calls made all the difference.
We also had a good time yesterday.  My cousin Edith Jo and her husband Richard invited us to lunch.  We hadn't seen them for several years and we had a delightful time with them.  Jo and her siblings grew up in the same town as I was born in and were very close.  Thank you Jo.  
One good thing about a serious illness is that it does bring you back in contact with wonderful long lost friends.
I did receive some good news concerning myself.  I had an MRI Tuesday that showed that the tumor hadn't grown and possibly had even shrunk.  So I am pleased at the progress I am making.  Thank you for  your prayers in my behalf.


Roma and I at the Graduation parade 1971
Graduation Ball

Commissioning (Tom Callen front right)
Snake, Rod, and Pete (me) I wish I had a picture of all of us.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What great pics!! So young, you two!!! Thanks for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures Dad. What fun to talk to your old friend. What a pick me up! Cant wait to see you this weekend! Love, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the Lord's tender mercies. Glad to hear you are doing well. Fun
    pictures too. Sharon and Dave send their love too.

    ReplyDelete