Saturday, September 4, 2010

It's Cougar Day!

This is Paul's son, David. This is my first, and most likely last, post for my dad's blog. Paul felt it would be a good idea to send out an update. In my dad's last post he spokes of a seizure that he had experienced. Well, that seizure was followed by another seizure a couple of days later. After a visit to the hospital and a cat scan, it was determined that a mass, most likely a tumor, had grown its way back into my dad's brain. He started having the shakes in his right arm and his speech started to deteriorate, both signs of an advancing tumor. After speaking with his fantastic doctors, Dr. Wallentine and Dr. Gardener, Paul decided surgery was the best option.

Yesterday morning at five my dad checked in to the hospital for his second major brain surgery in three months. I wasn't there for his first surgery, but I was amazed an how calm my parents were through the whole procedure. My dad was cracking jokes and looked as calm and rested as I'd seen him lately. Without going into too many details, my dad both gave and received multiple priesthood blessings in the days prior, and all of us felt a very calm and confident assurance that this wasn't my dad's time. That feeling carried us through the morning.

The surgery was a complete success. Dr. Gardener skillfully extracted all of the badness that he could from my dad's Brain. We worried that this second proceedure would affect his speech and his ability to use his right arm. We shouldn't have worried at all. Other then the usual after effects of brain surgery, he is doing great! His speech is just fine and he doesn't show any issues with his movement. We are truly blessed!

At the moment my dad is recovering nicely in the hospital where I'm sure he will stay for the next few days. Today is the opening Saturday for college football, which my dad loves. We're all set to watch the Cougars take on the Huskies this afternoon.

To close, my dad is doing great. The many prayers and fasting for my dad has had a profound effect. We continually are feeling the influences of them. My dad wants to thank everyone for the many acts of kindness. I'm sure in the next few days he'll feel up to posting his own thoughts.

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful...under the circumstances, of course. We hope and pray Paul will be blessed with a speedy recovery and be freed from future cancerous growth!

    I hope he can watch the BYU game. It is only on CBS-C, however, which may not be on the hospital package of Comcast channels... I'll record it if he wants to come over later in the week after he is released to watch it!

    Ken & Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken,

    My dad actually watched the game from an iPhone. I DVR'ed it at his house so now that he's home we'll re-watch it. Thanks for the offer, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post Davey. We love you Dad and we sure miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul,

    Would like to meet you. It seems we are quite similar. We both are the same age, both recovering from Glioblastoma Level IV, both have daughters that are good friends. Please check out my blog at www.jeffreymorrow.blogspot.com.

    Jeffrey Morrow
    morrowjeffrey@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete