Thursday, August 26, 2010

Harvest of blessings.


Our garden isn't as prolific as Joe's but we try!


I have had an interesting couple of weeks since my radiation treatment finished. The medical people warned me that the next few weeks could be my toughest. They were right! I have been so tired. Thats where the blessings have come.
Mondays Roma and I have been mowing our lawn. I trim the lawn and Roma mows. She enjoys the exercise (she says). That day I had a tough day so I decided I wouldn't trim the front lawn. The back lawn needs it because there are so many curves and tight spots that it is hard to mow without trimming first. So  I began to trim the back while Roma started mowing the front. By the time  I finished the trimming Roma began to mow the back yard. I decided to blow the grass off the sidewalks and began to do that. That's when I noticed Dustin and Emily Brown sweeping the sidewalks and my good neighbor Stan Soper heading down with his trimmer to edge our front lawn. He was upset because he couldn't do more, but we had our hearts full of the love we have received from our wonderful neighbors. Things like this have blessed our lives again and again. We are so grateful.
Every evening that we can Roma and I go out for a short walk around the neighborhood. The walk is good for me.  Last night was no different. I had had a pretty good day but felt a little light headed. As we were headed home (in front of the Tuttle home for those of you who know where I live) I experienced my first seizure. It wasn't very bad, but I couldn't talk or walk. Roma went to three homes before she found Mike and Ann Tucker at home. By the time they reached me the seizure had pretty much passed and I was able to stand. Mike and Ann supported me the rest of the way home and made sure I got into the home and was acting okay. 
I have been taking anti-seizure medicine since my tumor was discovered, so the seizure really surprised us. Roma call our oncologist and he said that as long as the seizure was over I would probably be all right. He said just to take me to the emergency room if it happened again. That didn't make Roma feel very good so she called her sister Amy whose husband (Kerry) is an Orem Fireman. Amy called Kerry (he was on duty) and he got permission to bring the ambulance over and check me out. That made Roma feel better. Roma also called the Rogan Taylor to see if he could give me a blessing. He came over with Rich Hill and they gave me an extraordinary blessing. What they said is sacred to me and the Comforter testified to my soul that what was said was the mind and will of the Lord. I may have experienced a seizure, but the the spiritual blessings we received were worth more than the trial.
So adversity brings blessings if we watch for it. I am so grateful for neighbors who follow promptings to come help a neighbor unsolicited and two young people who bring such joy to our lives. I am grateful for people who drop what they are doing to give blessings and honor their priesthood so they are worthy to do. 
The Lord really does multiply our blessings if we will only let him and trust in him. 

6 comments:

  1. Oh Dad, you got me crying again!! Your tomatoes look great, I can't wait to come and eat some of them. Love You Both!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What an evening! Any idea what may have triggered the seizure yesterday and not any other day? That might be important to know. We'll keep you in our prayers, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dad, I cant wait to see you this weekend. I love you so much. I so enjoy your posts. They always make me feel better about the situation we are in. I am so grateful for your good neighbors. You and Mom really live in a great area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't know me but your sweet daughter was the one to give me a hug in Washington DC when my Dad was dignosed a year before you were with the same cancer. She was a wonderful friend to me and my heart aches that I can't be there for her like she was for me. I just want you to know that your wonderful posts have strengthened our family as we are going through the same trial. We wish you and your family peace. I can only imagine the type of family you are after getting to know emily, I can tell amazing people raised her. sincerly, jessica Gardner

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love your posts, Paul. Your calm faith and hope is so comforting to me. You and Roma are in our family prayers. You were right about Stan wishing he could do more, and just know that we would do anything to help you guys if you are in a moment of need. Much love, the Sopers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul, you are such an example of faith and fortitude. I kept thinking about you and how you have handled your illness as I was preparing to give a talk in Church last Sunday. You are clearly the recipient of the blessings promised to those who follow God's plan of happiness. May God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete