Sunday, August 15, 2010

Radiation Done. Now we wait.


Cooper and Grandpa
Good Buddies
The 4 Babies and their mom's. All born in 2009.

I have felt the need to post some comments for several days, but couldn't piece together in my mind what I wanted to say. Then Amy, my daughter, put me onto a video published on LDS.org. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7zwQ_7q-fU&feature=player_embedded   The video is about a man that lost most of his family to a drunk driving teenager. It is very powerful and it explains how he was able to overcome his grief and bitterness by turning to the Savior. 
I have several people in my extended family who have taken some hard knocks lately. Life has a way of throwing curves at you that you don't expect. I know that is part of the Lord's plan. He wants to see us work our way through those trials, but he doesn't leave us alone to wander through the wilderness. In the Book of Mormon in Alma 7: 12 it says "And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities that his bowels may be filled  with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities." The problem is as a Christian people we sometimes don't believe Christ. We wallow in grief and pain, or sin and never realize Christ is waiting for us to submit ourselves to his healing influence. He wants us to trust in his redeeming love. It takes away our grief and pain and replaces it with peace. The problems still remain, but our capacity to overcome is realized. I have a deep and abiding belief of that. 
I finished my radiation this past Tuesday. If the doctor is right I should start feeling a little more energy in a couple of weeks. I am still very tired, but I can see the light at then end of the tunnel. I am scheduled for a MRI the end of September to see the status of my tumor. I am cautiously optimistic that everything will be good. As I have said before; I am an impatient man. I don't want to wait that long but the Lord is teaching me patience. 
By the way; I have the best wife in the world. She is with me through thick and thin. We share laughter and tears. Her's is the tough road. I hope that when I feel a little more strength I can return the favor in a small way. She is my life.

5 comments:

  1. Another wonderful, inspiring post. You continue to lift up others while in this terrible challenge. One can understand the principles you discuss but it is another thing to apply them right in the line of fire. And you have done this. Hats off to you and may the Lord continue his tender mercies and blessings toward you and your great family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dad. Such a wonderful post. I am so greatful you are my Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to echo Emilys comment Dad. Wonderful post. You lift us all up. By the way I love your new blog colors. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Paul, we have all been struggling lately with the death of Judi's boy Tony on the 28th. He was so troubled....everyone felt so helpless. I can see the Savior working in Judi and ARlyn. Judi was made RS Pres 2 weeks before he killed himself and I think this was a huge blessing for her. Hang in there you are an inspiration to all of us! Katy

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys never cease to AMAZE me...you have wonderful attitudes!!
    Much Love, The Fellers

    ReplyDelete