Sunday, July 18, 2010

Enduring

I had the best day yesterday (Saturday). I didn't have to go to radiation; I had a good nights sleep and had good energy all day. I even got to go to my Grandson Owen's first birthday party then after I got home watched a Harry Potter movie with Abe and Dallin. I wish every day were like that, but I realize they won't be like that all the time. My life now revolves around my treatment schedule. I have had 14 radiation treatments. Monday I will be half way done. I still haven't lost much hair although I shave it everyday (it makes it easier to apply lotion or other treatments to my tender head). I will lose it permanently everywhere the radiation enters and exits my head so I will have a splotchy head. Get used to a shaved Paul. Roma is even getting used to the look although she started crying last night when looking a pre-surgery picture of me.
I am rambling so I will get to what I am thinking about this morning. I am not a very patient person. I want to know the end from the beginning with time frames. I want to know if I will be here for the completion of the Harry Potter movies or the release of the Hobbit on film. (Both unimportant events) I want to know if BYU stays in the MWC or gets invited to the Big 12. I want to know if I will be around for my next grandchild's birth or the baptism of the 2 grandkids who will turn 8 next year. I want to know lots of things and I don't. I can't even know if my treatments are working for a month after they are finished. I think that is part of the Lord's plan. He wants to know if we are in the game until the end no matter when that is. As a people we want to know when things are going to happen. It is human nature but God operates on his eternal time frame. He has a plan for us and oftentimes it isn't for us to know. This life is a time to prove to him that we are in it for the long haul. I believe I am and I am confident God will let me stay long enough to complete what he wants me to accomplish while here. I just hope and pray I can endure to the end; to fight the good fight; to prove to my Heavenly Father that I am worthy to return to him when this life ends.

2 comments:

  1. Great perspective, Paul. Couldn't have been stated better from a General Authority! You're doing everything you can, following doctor's advice, and trusting in the Lord. There's nothing more you could do. We'll still keep praying for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad, I am confident you will be at all our families special events wether you are on this earth or not. You are fighting the good fight, and I am proud of you.

    ReplyDelete