Thursday, July 8, 2010

Update

I have gone through 7 sessions of radiation and have taken the chemo pill for 10 days. I count it as a blessing that I haven't got sick. I am a little tired, but that is what they told me to expect. That should get a little worse as time goes on, but that should be manageable. My speech is improving every day as long as I work at it. The more I talk the better I get. When I wake up in the morning I have the hardest time getting started. I need to read more out loud, but I make so little progress on whatever I am reading that it becomes boring to me. I do best when reading children's books to the grandkid. They are more patient than I am and seem to enjoy my slow reading. I have weekly sessions with a speech therapist. She has been very helpful. I just need to be more diligent in doing the exercises she has given me. The problem with my speech is the muscles on the right side of my face. I need to re-strenthen and re-wire them to return to normal (or at least close to normal) speech. So if you see me making funny faces, I am working on my speech.
As I said before, the Lord has greatly blessed me and my family. I have recovered from my surgery well and I couldn't be more pleased with how the chemo and radiation are going. My speech gets better every day. Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and prayers. They work and I am grateful to you for them. God Bless you.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Paul. This is Shelly's sister Kelly. I have been reading your updates. I am glad to hear how well your radiation and chemo are going and that you aren't sick. You are very inspiring and I have learned a lot from your blog. Good luck with everything. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Shelly is so lucky to have you as a father-in-law!

    ReplyDelete