Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The value of a hug.

I have become a connoisseur of hugs. They range from the big burley guys who don't know what to say and make up for it by the force of their hugs and the meek hugs of the little ladies of our neighborhood with heartfelt comments of love and concern.
I have been a little anxious to see my 5 grandchildren who live in St George. The two oldest were here when I was diagnosed but none of them had seen me since my surgery. Knowing them I was concerned that my speech would scare them. I needn't have worried. Their parents had prepared them well. They knew what to expect. They each were excited to see their grandma and grandpa again and each gave hugs and kisses. Brooke (7 years old) immediately upon seeing me rushed into my arms and gave me the most fervent hug I can remember. It must have lasted one or two minutes. That single hug and all the love it contained has buoyed my spirit ever since as well as all the others I received. I have received extra hugs from all my grand children even those that a month ago thought they were too old or too cool for it. It has helped me and and I think it has been therapeutic to them also. Hugs are an expression of love that have benefited me greatly
I started chemo and radiation yesterday. Everything is going great so far. The chemo didn't make me sick and the radiation has been painless so far. I appreciate all your thoughts and prayers. They are working!

2 comments:

  1. Dad, I'm so glad you are feeling okay!! I wish we could all come and give you a hug. Consider this your long distance hug from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You Peterson's are doing a good job of converting me over to hugs. I'm discovering there is a lot of power to a hug :)

    ReplyDelete