Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Word

The Scar. I need to add an line to the bottom to make a Y! A U just won't do and I can't figure out a way to make AF out of it.

Today, Roma and I vistited the Oncologist and Radiation Oncologist. They were terrific. My son's Tommy and David and my daughter Emily were able to go and asked terrific questions. Here's the scoop.
I have a tumor called a glio blastoma. It is a grade 4 or highly aggressive. It was fairly small and when the surgeon took it out he couldn't see any tenticles. That doesn't mean much. It will most likely eventually take my life.
I am according the the doctors extremely healthy so I should be able to withstand the regimines of radiation and chemotherapy. I will undergo 6 weeks of radiation in conjuction with chemo. The chemo will extend beyond the radiation for up to a year.
According to all this I will still be alive and kicking as much as a year from now and probably two. They are betting on the latter. I am betting even longer. I have lots to do.
I have had some interesting feelings today.
1. Love, not despair. The only tears I have spent this day were due to the love of my famliy and friends. Of course I am not looking forward to this. I am not morbid. I figure I should be able to grow from this and learn some eternal lessons that I can perhaps share.
2. Work to do. I have lots to do. My bucket list is growing! Hopefully growing with things that will bless the lives of those around me with a few things thrown in for fun. Another family trip to the AF/BYU game this fall being one of them.
3. Life goes on. After the appointments I realized that life is going to go on. I need to think about providing for my family and make plans for future. Roma and I have a lot of life to live yet, a lot of grandkids to hug, and a lot of work to do. I have many healthy months ahead of me. I plan to take advantage of each one of them.
Please pray for me and my family. We feel your prayers. We honor your service. God bless you!

4 comments:

  1. we are praying for you. I just put your name in 11 Temples and will continue to do so every 2 weeks. Steve and Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed at your strength and optimistic attitude! We are praying for you...both Kathy and I. If you need anything please let us know.

    Love,
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a friend of Emily's here in Virginia. God's love and strength are so powerful in you, it's palpable. Please know that you are all- your whole family- lifted in prayer daily and loved dearly by so many who do not even know you well.
    -Rachel Morgan & family

    ReplyDelete