Monday, June 14, 2010

Soul Food/Comfort Food

I cannot still sleep at night, but I don't mind. I have the clearest thoughts at night unencombered by the world. It refreshing.
Roma and I were talking yesterday morning about all the food and expressions of love we have recieved. They fill the house! Combined with the visits and telephone calls we receive from loved ones and friends we feel honored and blessed. We'll not be able to thank you who have given your love and shoulder of compassion in a lifetime. I can only promise to do likewise.
This has been a multi-denominatianal excersice. I am LDS and have received so much support from my ward and friends. My bothers Lutheran congregation in Pittsburgh is praying for me as well as my other brothers Penetostal congregration in Redlands, CA. My Grandson Isaac goes to a Methodist pre-school in Va and they are praying for me. I have been told of a few more and they are all appreciated. I literally have felt them all. At times the love I feel almost consumes me. I have no fear because the spirit is so strong. You may see me crying, but they are tears of joy and thankfulness.
I have been given an new appreciation for comfort food. As I said we have a house full of food and I will have do go on a diet to lose some weight after this. When we sit down to eat we can literally feel the love that has gone into that food. We can taste it. We can smell it in the flowers and the desserts. We can feel it in the cards and letters and phone calls. It is soul food! You have given a sacred gifts and they are appreciated. Charity never faileth.


4 comments:

  1. I am sorry that you aren't able to sleep well. That isn't any fun, but I am grateful for your blogs and love reading them. I agree with you on the "soul food." I had this conversation the other day with my good friend and neighbor. She and her husband brought us over blondies and they were the yummiest things. They were gone in less than five minutes. They had said they didn't want to bring them over because they thought they were burnt and didn't taste good. The opposite for us. We were grateful and filled. Especially during hard times, I have also found that any food brought from someone and made with love and compassion fills the stomach and soul. I love you lots and hope that today is a good day!
    Love,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so glad you are enjoying the food. What we really want to do is take away the disease but we can't so we just bring food. It makes us feel better. With love from the Gants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul--Emily just reminded me to look at your blog and so now I'm here at work bawling. I'll have to get back at her later. I admire you so much--I did even before this. But now I have even greater respect for your humility and sincerity. You are one of my main mentors and I value every lesson I get from you. I will continue reading with interest. Much Love, Matt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dad, I love your posts. They are so true, and its nice to read what you are thinking and feeling. I am so glad that your neighbors and friends are being so kind with food etc. That really says a lot about the kind of people they are, and that you and mom are. You are both so loved and have impacted so many people. I love you!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete