Saturday, July 24, 2010

Zion Narrows

A couple of months ago Aaron, our son-in-law made reservations for a hike down Zion Narrows over the state Pioneer Day holiday. I made arrangements to get the time off as Zion National Park is one of my very favorite places to go. Then the brain tumor hit. The family still went, but instead of me going I am helping Roma babysit a few of the grandkids. I love my grandkids and I am having a blast being with them but I have to admit there have been some tears shed when I think about being in the narrows. If you haven't been, you should go. It is that spectacular and beautiful. Oh well, life seems to throw some snowballs at you when you're expecting daisies but hopefully we grow from our trials. I know I have!!

When I think back on this time since the tumor appeared the most constant theme that comes to mind is love. The love of immediate family that makes special arrangements to be with me or call Roma and I every day to check on us. The love of a neighborhood that still is bringing by food, cards, gifts, and good will to our home. The love of church leaders who just care and give of their time and means to serve my family and the rest of the Ward. The love of brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles, cousins and old friends who care and share tears of sorrow, remembrance, and joy. Especially I think of the love of a Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ who loved us enough to prepare a plan whereby we could return to them. Life doesn't end here, Our relationships don't end here; they will continue for eternity. I know Roma and I will be all right because ours is an eternal relationship. I constantly marvel at the peace the Gospel of Jesus Christ brings to my heart. I am grateful for it and I hope you all can feel it in your hearts also.

3 comments:

  1. Great post Dad. We had a great time in the Narrows, but you were sure thought of a lot. I wish you could have been there with us. We have never done a trip like that and not had you there. I hope we can do it again next year with both you and mom. We sure love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your post Dad. We sure love and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry you'll be right there with us next year... Narrows and Mystery Canyon!!!!

    ReplyDelete